There’s no better way to celebrate the peak of berry season than with a freshly baked summer berry pie. This recipe is a vibrant and delightful celebration of the fresh, juicy berries that reach their prime in the sunny months. Let’s dive right into the fruity, sweet, and tart world of the ultimate summer berry pie!
For the crust:
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- ¼ to ½ cup ice water
For the filling:
- 5 cups of mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
1. Making the Pie Crust: In a food processor, combine the flour…
…, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water slowly, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds. Divide the dough into two equal pieces, flatten into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preparing the Berry Filling: Combine the berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Gently toss until the berries are evenly coated.
3. Assembling the Pie: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Roll out one disk of dough into a 12-inch circle and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Add the berry filling. Roll out the second disk of dough and place it on top of the filling. Trim the excess dough and crimp the edges to seal. Cut several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
4. Baking the Pie: Brush the top crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. If the edges brown too quickly, cover them with aluminum foil. Let the pie cool before serving to allow the filling to set.
Variations and Tips
You can customize this pie with your favorite summer berries or add a twist with a tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs like basil or mint. For a gluten-free version, simply replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend.
There’s your slice of summer! This summer berry pie is sure to be a hit at any gathering. We can’t wait to hear about your baking adventures, so please share your experiences and photos in the comments below!