If you’re following a keto diet, you know that bread is off-limits. But that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the joys of a fresh, warm slice of bread straight from the oven. This keto bread recipe is easy to make, and it yields a loaf that’s soft, fluffy, and studded with melty pockets of cheese. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted in a keto-friendly bread, and it’s ready in just 90 minutes.
What Is Keto Bread?
Keto bread is a low-carb, high-fat bread that’s made without traditional wheat flour. Most keto bread recipes use…
…a combination of almond flour, coconut flour, and flaxseed meal to create a flourless bread that’s packed with protein and fiber. This bread gets its rise from baking powder and eggs, and it’s often flavored with everything from garlic and herbs to seeds and cheese.
Why Is Bread Off-Limits on the Keto Diet?
Bread is typically off-limits on the keto diet because it’s high in carbs and low in fat. One slice of wheat bread contains about 15 grams of carbs, which can quickly add up if you’re eating multiple slices or eating bread with other high-carb foods.
How to Make Keto Bread
This keto bread recipe is easy to make, and it yields a fluffy, cheesy loaf that’s perfect for toasting or using as the base for a sandwich. The key to getting a light, airy texture is to not overmix the batter, and to let the bread dough rest for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water 1 cup (100 grams) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 9-inch (23 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, and water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.