For about two months I kept a keto diet that I got along great with due to the delicious dishes that you are allowed to eat in this diet. Keto comes from ketosis (ketosis), a process by the body to obtain energy from fats. As such, the keto diet is high in (you guessed it) fat, moderate in protein and extremely low in carbohydrates.
Of course, on keto you are not allowed to eat bread, pasta, sweets, potatoes, corn, beans and other goodies like this rich in carbohydrates.
You are, however, allowed to eat, instead…
…fatty meats, eggs, cheese, sour cream, light vegetables (and usually green), almonds and, from time to time, sour fruits in small quantities (raspberries, strawberries / strawberries – both forms are accepted, so I leave it to you to choose your favorite -, blueberries, etc.). Basically, in a keto diet you eat comfort food hard, but invariably, after a few weeks on keto, you miss… bread!
At least that’s how it was with me. Rolling over the doll, I happened to buy a jar of low carb nutella and find out with amazement that I have nothing to spread. So I didn’t think long and searched the internet for the best keto bread recipes. I tested several, but the one below quickly became my favorite due to several factors:
- It is super easy to prepare, like a cake;
- She is extremely full;
- It lasts 3-4 days (for one person) and is perfectly resistant to the refrigerator;
- It remains as tender as on the first day;
Keto bread recipe
I found this keto bread recipe on several sites, but what is different for me from the ones out there is that I chose to “forget” about the dry yeast, which would give this salty cake that classic bread flavor, and that I didn’t grind the flax seeds. I didn’t want to be rebellious, except that at that moment I didn’t have yeast or anything to grind the seeds into. However, I say it came out exactly as it should.
Some mentions for the newest in the world of keto preparations:
- Almond flour is actually made from ground almonds and is the most commonly used substitute for white flour in this type of diet due to the low percentage of carbohydrates;
- Xanthan gum is a thickening agent that binds the more liquid compositions typical of keto preparations;
- Erythritol is one of the most popular sweeteners with zero glycemic index and is used in this recipe to sweeten keto bread a little (as is commercially sweetened bread);
- You can find all these wonders and many more on nosugarshop.ro, driedfruits.ro, through health food stores and more. If you need more help in finding them, do not hesitate to leave us a comment and I will be happy to guide you!
Now let’s get to cooking!
Keto bread ingredients (for a cake / 12 slices)
- 180 g of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons erythritol
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 100 g unt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Method of preparation
- Take the eggs out of the fridge about an hour before and leave them on the kitchen counter so that they are at room temperature when you start cooking, in order to avoid the specific omelette taste for keto bread.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, erythritol and flax seeds) in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Break the eggs in another bowl, add salt and beat the composition with a mixer (by the way, if you want a low carb bread, but not necessarily keto, you can choose to use only the egg whites in this bread – just keep in mind that you will need some 12 egg whites).
- Add the butter and oils (slightly melted in the microwave if they are still hard) and mix a little more.
- At the end, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet composition, stirring constantly. You will notice how the composition hardens and becomes sticky. That’s because of the xanthan gum.
- Pour the composition into a cake tin lined with baking paper or simply into a silicone one, which comes off easily.
- Put it in the oven for about an hour, but take it out with confidence even earlier if it has browned.
- Let it cool for five minutes, then take it out of the mold and allow it to cool completely on a rack.
Cut the keto bread at the end, after it has cooled completely, to make sure that everything has tied well inside. I recommend you cut it all and keep it in the fridge in a saucepan. It lasted four days for me and was as good as the first day. Enjoy and don’t forget to leave me a comment with your opinion about this keto bread!